A revised version of the International Health Regulations (IHR) was agreed by WHO Member States during the 2005 World Health Assembly. Under these regulations, countries are required to develop and maintain the capacity to detect, investigate and report to the international community through WHO, public health events of potential international concern.
In order to do this, countries need to be equipped with laboratory services capable of: 1) early detection and assessment of epidemic and pandemic-prone pathogens; 2) safely contain and handle those dangerous pathogens; and 3) produce high quality results in a timely manner. Such laboratories allow countries to better prevent accidental or deliberate use of pathogens, investigate any biological event and apply evidence-based control of disease. Many partner countries have conducted assessments of their national laboratory capacity and identified gaps in areas such as biorisk management, quality management and diagnostic capacity to inform early warning and response. WHO is supporting these countries to strengthen and maintain their laboratory core capacities for IHR implementation, through development of tools, guidelines, trainings, onsite technical assistance, and networking activities.
The overall objective of this project is to minimize potential biological risks through enhancement of laboratory biosafety, biosecurity, quality management and diagnostic capacity.
- Support institutional and individual capacity building efforts through implementation of appropriate tools, methodologies and training activities.
- Enhance the ability of partner countries to safely and rapidly detect and respond to natural or deliberate events of national and international concern
- Στοιχεία αναφοράς
- Διάρκεια έργου
- Τόποι έργων
- ArmeniaAzerbaijanEgyptIranJordanKyrgyzstanMoldovaMoroccoOmanPakistanSomaliaSudanTajikistanTunisiaTurkmenistanUnited Arab EmiratesUzbekistanYemen
- CBRN areas
- Public health impact mitigationSafety and security
- CBRN categories
- CoE Region
- CA - Central AsiaGCC - Gulf Cooperation Council CountriesMIE - Middle EastNAS - North Africa and SahelSEEE - South East and Eastern Europe
United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI)