The spread of emergent diseases and invasive species has increased dramatically in recent years. In parallel, numerous developments - such as the rapidly increasing transboundary movements, trade liberalisation, increasing concerns about food safety and the environment - have heightened the need for international cooperation in controlling and managing transboundary pests and diseases. At the same time, biosafety and biosecuriy systems require to be up-to-date with international standards and staff needs proper training and knowledge. Therefore new biosafety and biosecurity initiatives are critical for both public health and to prevent epidemics and pandemics.
The overall objective is to enhance biosafety and biosecurity capacities within the Central Asia region by:
- raising awareness and promote collaboration regarding biosafety, biosecurity, emergency response and incident management issues among national stakeholders and reducing proliferation risks through the advancement and promotion of safe and responsible conduct in the field of biological sciences;
- providing support for strengthening of the national legal systems addressing biosafety and biosecurity and reinforcing biological non-proliferation principles, practices and instruments;
- building an inventory/ catalogue of available resources in participating countries to assess the existing means to better assess training needs, to provide training and to map facilities in view of optimizing collaboration during the project and improve quality management as well as sustainability after its conclusion;
- developing and implementing a regional self-sustainable training system for biosafety and biosecurity and improving curricula and methodologies of teaching, preforming " Training of trainers" activities using activity base learning and introducing e-learning tools.
- Project duration
- 20 Dec 2015 - 21 Jun 2022
- Project locations
- AfghanistanAlbaniaArmeniaAzerbaijanBosnia and HerzegovinaGeorgiaKazakhstanKyrgyzstanMoldovaMongoliaMontenegroNorth MacedoniaSerbiaTajikistanUkraineUzbekistan
- CBRN areas
- Bio-safety/bio-securityCrisis managementLegal frameworkPublic health impact mitigation
- CBRN categories
- CoE Region
- CA - Central AsiaSEEE - South East and Eastern Europe