Partner countries in Eastern and Central African region have put in place measures to mitigate the risks brought about by biological agents. In most countries, legislation and/or regulations have been developed, biosafety committees or framework are in place and are members of regional Associations. However, the legal framework may not be comprehensive and infrastructure may not be in line with advances regarding biological sciences. The interface between animal, human and environmental factors, security of high-containment facilities, detection of agents, transfer of materials, dual use research, waste management and emergency response are sometimes not well stipulated in the law. Stakeholder involvement (such as farmers, dealers in agro-veterinary medicines and consumers) can also be a challenge.
The overall objective to which this action contributes is to improve the detection and mitigation against risks related to CBRN materials or agents and risks related to installations or sites through the EU CBRN Centres of Excellence Initiative and associated actions. This project is aimed at increasing national and regional capacity of the partner countries in protecting humans, animals and environment from accidental or intentional release of pathogens based on a One-Health approach and enhanced regional and international cooperation.
- The legislative framework in the Partner Countries is strengthened in compliance with international requirements and regulations.
- Risk assessments methods for biosafety and biosecurity are elaborated and put into practice in the Partner Countries.
- Biological risks in laboratories/facilities are reduced, at national and regional levels through establishing a Biorisk Management System.
- The proliferation risks are reduced through establishment of a framework for Dual Use Research of Concern.
- The public health risks are reduced through enhanced management of biological waste.
- Reporting on the state-of-play of the national legislation and identified gaps.
- Increasing awareness on biosafety and biosecurity among technical and non-technical target groups.
- Creation of training material for personnel responsible for carrying out biological risk assessments in different levels of expertise and fields.
- Support towards the creation of contingency, response plans operation centres.
- Collaboration with bodies such as East Africa Community (EAC), Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD), African Union (AU), etc.
- Support to bilateral agreements for securing porous borders and information sharing.
- Support to the pool of national biological experts and trainers in waste management.
Project launched in January 2023.
- Project duration
- 1 Jan 2023 - 30 Jun 2023
- Project locations
- BurundiDemocratic Republic of the CongoEthiopiaGhanaKenyaMalawiRwandaSeychellesTanzaniaUgandaZambia
- CBRN areas
- Bio-safety/bio-securityCrisis managementLegal frameworkPost incident recoveryPublic health impact mitigationSafety and security
- CBRN categories
- CoE Region
- ECA - Eastern and Central Africa